I'm having difficulty with the syntax for dism
/add-package on Windows Server, and what it requires as arguments in some cases. I can't find good (unambiguous) reference material for this online, I've tried.
The situation is that I'm trying to service the
/online system; I managed to /remove-package an entire package so I tried to re-add it using
/add-package, which should be simple, from install.wim on the DVD. But the needed arguments are not clearly explained on Microsoft's websites, for
/add-package to a live system, and surprisingly I couldn't get it right. I also tried to mounted the
install.wim as a folder and to
/add-package from that, but again, could not find the syntax to make it work. Help would really be appreciated.
/get-featureneeds a .WIM or a folder as a source where the feature can be found. What would count as a valid location, and especially, must a .WIM be mounted or is pointing to the
install.wim:index) enough? If a
.WIM + indexcan be directly referenced, what is the syntax?
When adding a package using
/add-package, is the package path/file itself a sufficient identifier, or must one provide a package name or other identifier as well? If so, what identifiers are valid and how are they found?
If the package files are within a wim (eg the install DVD's
install.wim) does one need to specify a path within that .WIM, or is specifying the .WIM (or .WIM+index) alone, enough?
dism /image:X:\MOUNTEDWIM /get-packageson a mounted windows install.wim, only shows the few packages that seem to be relevant to the install; many packages that I expected to be in the source weren't listed. But trying to be more specific, using
dism /image:X:\MOUNTEDWIM\Windows\servicing\Packages /get-packages, fails completely. What's wrong?
What is the syntax to add an entire removed package to the live /online system, from say,
install.wim:2(from DVD or mounted folder, or either), if the package was accidentally
/removed? What identifier or path, and other arguments, would I use?
Failed syntax I tried (using source DVD -> install.wim file):
- dism /online /add-package /packagepath:"Microsoft-Windows-PACKAGE~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384" /limitaccess /source:"X:\sources\install.wim"
- dism /online /add-package /packagename:NAME /packagepath:"X:\sources\install.wim\"
- dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NAME /All /Source:"X:\sources\install.wim" /LimitAccess
- dism /online /get-features /Source:"X:\sources\install.wim" /LimitAccess
- dism /online /add-package /packagepath:"Microsoft-Windows-PACKAGE~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384" /source:install.wim
- dism /online /add-package /packagepath:install.wim
- dism /online /add-package /packagepath:install.wim /ignorecheck
Failed syntax (same install.wim file, mounted as a folder):
- dism /online /add-package /packagename:NAME /all /packagepath:X:\MOUNTEDWIM\Windows
- dism /online /add-package /packagename:NAME /packagepath:X:\MOUNTEDWIM\Windows
- dism /get-packages /image:X:\MOUNTEDWIM\Windows
- dism /get-packages /packagepath:X:\MOUNTEDWIM\Windows
- dism /image:X:\MOUNTEDWIM /get-packages
(Not one was correct!)