I've started seeing the beach ball cursor on my Mac a lot lately, and I haven't been able to track down the cause.
- It happens even after restarting, with only a few applications running (basic stuff like Mail and Chrome, no complex web pages open)
- I've let Spotlight indexing and Time Machine backups finish.
- Activity Monitor doesn't show any memory or CPU hogs.
- There is 92.3 GB free on my hard disk
- Disk Utility said I needed to reformat my hard disk and restore from backup. I did, and now Disk Utility is happy, but the beach ball persists.
What else should I check? I wonder if my hard disk is getting flaky even though Disk Utility now reports no problems. This is an early 2011 15-in MacBook Pro with a 750GB disk and 4 GB RAM running OS X 10.10.