I need to perform a differential copy from one computer to another. The problem is that the data set is in excess of 2 TB, and the largest drive I have is 2TB. So, I will need to clean space off of my drive and then copy the rest of the files I need.
All of the synchronization software I see works from one directory to another. Is there a way to export a list of the files I have from one side, compare that to the live folder, and then only copy those files?
Edit *** This issue has come up again, and now the data set is 4+ TB. It is not feasible to have a portable drive large enough to hold the entire data set in order to keep remote copies updated.
I'm close to simply writing a solution for this, but I really don't want to duplicate effort.
It seems to me this is a very reasonable solution:
- Use Filesize, Date and optionally Checksum for comparison
- Create a index of the contents on Computer A
- Manually copy index to Computer B
- Computer B compares contents to Computer A's index
- Computer B creates differential data set which is manually copied to Computer A