On my brothers keyboard a pipe character is being inserted whenever he uses the shift key. It is weird because the key itself still performs the normal function that shift performs and allows making capital letters however at the same time it inserts the pipe (|) character.

The keyboard layout is a normal Canada (English) layout with a US input. I am quite confused what may be the problem here?

This is on a Windows 8.1 machine.

  • "Canada (English)" Try switching it to the US layout. For some reason Microsoft thinks that every keyboard in canada has a french layout. – Arthur Dec 29 '14 at 18:53
  • @Arthur The French keyboard is disabled. This is the actual English layout. – ComputerLocus Dec 29 '14 at 18:55
  • I believe you. I've just had problems with any layouts that have "Canada" labeled on them. – Arthur Dec 29 '14 at 18:58
  • @Arthur well I switched to the US layout just to test and there is the same problem. It doesn't happen every time the shift key is pressed, maybe 50% of the time. Leads me to think it could be a hardware issue. – ComputerLocus Dec 29 '14 at 19:04
  • Ahhh, that's useful info. That may be the case. You may want to try another KB and see if that fixes it. – Arthur Dec 29 '14 at 19:17

Can confirm that this problem was only solved by replacing the keyboard.

The issue is intermittent printing of a pipe (|) character when pressing the SHIFT key. Moving the keyboard from a laptop running Windows 7 to an iMac produced a similar issue, but this time the SHIFT key intermittently printed the +/- symbol.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.