Sounds like your PC is operating fine now, but you are still dealing with the smell.
If your previous PSU actually "burned out", creating a rank smell, it is likely the smell will take some time to dissipate from inside your PC. You still smell it because fans are circulating air.
Smoke leaves a smell that is challenging to remove, especially when it
involves the burning of synthetic or plastic materials.
The smell will eventually go away. To reduce the time it takes for the smell to dissipate, you can clean it yourself.
- Shut down your PC and disconnect it from power.
- Open the case
- Carefully wipe the surface of components with a lint free cloth
dampened with rubbing alcohol.
- Clean out all dust or lint within the PC case, fans and heat sinks. (This material can hang onto the smell.)
This will help remove any smoke residue from when the PSU failed. DO NOT spray any liquids into the PC.
cite for quote