I have been trying to get VMWare Player/ VMWare workstation installed in KALI Linux for almost ages now. I might look a little exaggerating but I would like to quote it that way to bring about the level of frustration now that I have reached to :
I have tried almost every possible relevant link and the solution mentioned there in to have my problem solved and finally get either VMWare Player/Worskstation working, but have found only more frustration instead of any success.
My system specifications and things I have already tried out :
- My OS is 32-bit KALI Linux kernel 1.1.0(lsb_release -a on my system gives :
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Kali
Description: Kali GNU/Linux 1.1.0
- uname -r on my system is : 3.18.0-kali1-686-pae
- VMWare Player version I have is VMware-Player-5.0.4-1945795.i386.bundle
- VMWare Worksatation version I have is VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.4-385536.i386.bundle
- I have already run apt-get update umpteen number of times.
- I have already done apt-get install build-essential and now if I do it again the output is :
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version.
- As suggested in some places, I have already tried apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-3.18.0-kali1-686-pae and I get the output as the same as above, stating that it is already the newest version.
- As suggested in some places, I have also tried this with some minor changes depending on my directory structures:
cd /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include/linux
sudo ln -s ../generated/utsrelease.h
sudo ln -s ../generated/autoconf.h
sudo ln -s ../generated/uapi/linux/version.h
So currently doing a
/lib/modules/3.18.0-kali1-686-pae/build/include# ls -la
shows that I have the required symlinks, (the below is the symlinks I now have)
autoconf.h -> ./generated/autoconf.h
utsrelease.h -> ./generated/utsrelease.h
version.h -> ./generated/uapi/linux/version.h
- I have rebooted my system after each of these updates.
I need some desperate help here. Is there any thing else that needs to be done to get VMWare Player/Workstation working on my system ? As of now if I run either of them I get the below :
Unable to start services.
See log file /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-modconfig-8692.log for details.