Windows 8.1 Enterprise + Visual Studio 2013 pro update 4 is taking 35.7 GB. (mind you I have not installed anything other than Google Chrome)
All I want this partition on my mac pros SSD is for Windows development. Do i really need 35.7 GB to do this? I.e. the lightest weight strategy for windows development.
I was clicking through folders looking for stuff to delete from windows. Any tips about what I can yank?
Also what if I took visual studio 2013 pro with no updates i save 3gbs. Is that a dumb idea?
Heres what I installed:
- Windows 8.1 Enterprise (not the N edition the space was only like 35 more mb)
- Visual Studio 2013 pro with update 4 the only option is the web dev tools (no sql server no silverlight etc)
- Google Chrome
- Thats it. No other ad ons from windows etc.
Update Swing and miss v1 I tried the 3 steps listed in this question. That only freed up .2GB. Is Windows 8.1 enterprise and VS 2013 pro expected to take up 36 GB? My math says 9gb for Visual studio so windows 8.1 enterprise uses 27gb? something doesnt seem right here.
Update Swing and miss v2
- So the WinSxS folder can grow pretty large.
- However running the command below will tell you if you should even bother cleaning it up which in my case was a no.
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore