iTunes is always popping up on my HTPC Mac Mini and I don't use it. It is running Snow Leopard if that makes any difference to the solution
If you want to just disable it, run
sudo chmod -x /Applications/iTunes.app
It won't work anymore.
If you want it back, just
sudo chmod +x /Applications/iTunes.app
On more recent versions of macOS, you may need to disable SIP:
- Power off your device
- Power on your device while maintaining ⌘ and R pressed
- Once you reach the recovery system, select Terminal from the Utilities menu
csrutil disableand then
If you want to revert that back to the original protection, run the same steps but replace with
csrutil enable at step 4.
Check the current status with
csrutil status in any terminal window.
How I disabled iTunes. Highlight the non running iTunes app and click command i and under sharing and permission give yourself access to read and write. You may need to give yourself root access first. Compress iTunes incase you want to retrieve it. Move iTunes to the trash and click delete.You may need to open Activity monitor and quit the iTunes Helper App first.
iTunes, doesn't "just pop" up. It has to be started.
1) Check in the Dock, right click on the iTunes icon, is "Open at Login" checked? 2) Do you have an iPod, iPod Touch, or iPhone? If so, when the device is connected, go into iTunes. Click on it in the sources list, and uncheck the "automatically sync when connected".
Those are the options that I can think of off the top of my head... But iTunes should not be starting without a reason.
Oh, it'll also start up if you have it set to automatically download track information for CDs / DVDs from the internet.... When you insert the discs...
But I think that's it.
The terminal command doesn't work for me in OSX 10.8.5 anymore so I found a workaround.
- Quit iTunes helper using Activity Monitor.
- Give yourself permission to read and write using iTunes get info
- Use dropDMG and make a disc image of iTunes in case you need iTunes for some reason
- Find iTunes, right click "show package content", click Macos, send iTunes and helper 1&2 to the trash and delete
- Never software update iTunes
Hope this helps