I have set up sql server express 2014 in a Windows 7 virtualbox guest, but I cannot connect to it using the jTDS JDBC driver from my Ubuntu host. I get a
Could not retrieve database information error. I feel like I must be missing a step somewhere, but can't find anything online that I haven't already tried:
- Connection URL is
- Windows firewall has been disabled completely on the guest.
- I can ping the guest IP address from the host.
- The server and SQL Browser services are running.
netstat -aon the guest confirms that TCP 0.0.0.0:1433 and UDP 0.0.0.0:1434 are listening.
- The server logs say
Listening on <All IPv4>:1433
- The Surface Area Configuration tool has TCP/IP enabled and set up to listen on port 1433 for all IPs.
- SSMS confirms remote access is enabled for that server instance.
- I can connect to the database from SSMS on the guest using the host-only IP address (192.168.56.1, same as above) and the same SQL Authentication credentials that I am using over JDBC.
telnet 192.168.56.1 1433and
telnet 192.168.56.1:1434from the host both fail immediately with
Connection refused, while the same commands from the guest do not.
It feels to me like a firewall issue since I seem to be able to connect on the interface IP address from inside the guest and the output from
netstat, but with Windows firewall turned off I am not sure what to do next, or even what diagnostic steps to take from here.