How can I reorder and create sub-menus in the Windows 7 context menu? I've found ways to selective remove unwanted entries using the registry or third-party utilities, but I do not know about a way to rearrange or create my own customized submenus.
This isn't a conclusive answer but here's how Windows seems to be loading context menu entries:
Context menu entries are stored in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (among other places) in the registry.
- Windows loads context menu entries for the specific object type (.zip, .doc, .txt, etc)
- Windows loads all entries in "shell" in alphabetic order
- Windows loads context menu entries for the "all type" i.e. "*" for file or "Folder"/"Directory" for those
- Windows loads everything in the "shell" key and appends it to the list above
- Windows loads everything from the specific object "shellex" key in alphabetic order and appends it to the shell menus
- Windows loads everything from the generic "shellex" key and appends it to the bottom of everything above (alphabetic)
There may be some peculiarities in here such as for context menu entries in other location LIKE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes, but this is the general concept. If the menu items are in the same key you can rename the keys and get a little bit of reordering. You could also try moving them around if you can still obtain the desired menu items on all files types.