I just reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) on to my computer and I'm having lots of problem in regards to the Metro Tiles (aka the start menu). One of the problem's is that when I boot into Windows and open the start menu nothing will show (I've included a screenshot below). However, if I open task manager and restart Windows Explorer, then the tiles are showing.
Before Windows Explorer restart:
After Windows Explorer restart:
The second problem is nothing will install from the Windows Store. I tried installing Netflix and it would come up and say it was installed. I clicked the notification to open Netflix but it just closes right away and then it's uninstalled right away.
I've tried everything I could find but nothing seem to fix this. Also, if I boot into safe mode then the tiles are showing (I should note I did try disabling everything under the
Startup tab in Task Manager and all non-Microsoft services in
msconfig). I should note that I moved Program Files to my second SSD (as the one installed with Windows on it is only 120GB) and the Program Files on C:\ are linked (with a directory junction) to the Program Files folders on D:. I would move the Program Files folders back to C:\ but even by booting from the Windows 8.1 DVD, it says
Access is denied. when I try to move Program Files back.
Here's what I've tried:
- Running the Windows Apps Troubleshooter. This always says
Windows Store may be corruptand then resets the Windows Store, but doesn't fix my problems.
- Resetting the Windows Store by running
- Creating another user and using that. The tiles work with the new user, but I can't get into the Windows Store or PC Settings (it just opens and closes right away)
sfc /scannow. This always says
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Made sure all drivers are up to date and no unknown devices in Device Manager
- Disabling the Windows Firewall
- Disable antivirus programs (Windows Defender and AVG)
- Made sure Windows is activated
- Made sure settings related to the date/time were corrected
- Removed all Browser Helper Objects (BHO) that start with Explorer
- Following these steps yields this error:
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF9, Install failed. Please contact your software vendor. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF9)
- Made sure permissions are set properly (as listed in this Microsoft article)
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealthresulted with "No component store corruption detected."
- Tried these steps. A system restore didn't work (because the restore point was corrupt) and a refresh wouldn't work either (I have no idea why).
I'm at a dead end and I really don't feel like re-installing Windows 8.1 again. I'm open to any ideas.