I bought a motherboard that has 5.1 surround sound output (Optical, spdif, 3.5mm: C/S, L/R, SL/SR)

I have an old surround sound DVD player with NO digital inputs :( [panasonic 950t] I'm thinking of throwing out the DVD player and keeping the speakers.

The speakers just have bare wire.

What do I need to hook it up?

I presume a 5.1 amplifier. However I cannot find any. All the ones I see have tuners, DVD players, and a bajillion inputs.

I want a nice, simple, small 5.1 amplifier that will allow me to hook 5.1 speakers to a PC. Does such a product exist? Is that even what I need?

  • A picture of the cable would be helpful.
    – Ramhound
    Apr 10, 2015 at 10:44

1 Answer 1


You will never be connecting those speakers directly to the computer, you will need an amplifier. But I don't know of any that are not meant for home AV, and will be dvd player sized with a number of inputs.

However there's another issue, it sounds like you had one of those all in one kits, so you'll need to check what amperage (measured in Ohms) usually 4 or 8 the speakers are, and make sure they match.

In the end you're either better off getting a new all-in-one kit, or a PC specific 5.1 speaker kit.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.