How can I lock a cell, to prevent edits to its value for the foreseeable future?
- Select the cells that you want to specify the cell protection options for.
- Choose Format - Cells and click the Cell Protection tab.
- Select the protection options that you want. All options will be applied only after you protect the sheet from the Tools menu - see below. Uncheck Protected to allow the user to change the currently selected cells. Select Protected to prevent changes to the contents and the format of a cell. Select Hide formula to hide and to protect formulas from changes. Select Hide when printing to hide protected cells in the printed document. The cells are not hidden onscreen.
- Click OK.
- Apply the protection options. To protect the cells from being changed / viewed / printed according to your settings in the Format - Cells dialog, choose Tools - Protect Document - Sheet. To protect the structure of the document, for example the count, names, and order of the sheets, from being changed, choose Tools - Protect Document - Document.
- Optional) Enter a password. If you forget your password, you cannot deactivate the protection. If you only want to protect cells from accidental changes, set the sheet protection, but do not enter a password.
- Click OK.
How to protect cells in Libreoffice calc:
First select the cells that you want to be NOT protected.
> format > cells > (uncheck) protected
tools > protect sheet > (check everything) > ok
If, later on, you want to protect or unprotect cells, then do as follows:
tools > protect sheet (uncheck)
format > cells (change the protection on cells as said above)
tools > protect sheet > ok