I have a new desktop PC with Intel Core 2 duo. I now just buy a cabinet fan and I need to place it on the back side of the cabinet just below the SMPS. How can I place it there with appropriate position? What I mean is I need the direction which the fan should rotate so that there will be a cooling inside the cabinet..
- eHow -- How to Install Computer Case Fans
- Computer Case Fans: Installing, Replacing, Cooling
- Building a PC: Installing Fans
You are interested in the direction of the air flow (push-in or pull-out).
- The usual thing to do is pull-out.
- It helps if there is a side-grill on the cabinet, a little below the processor location and the fan actually is aligned close to the processor (usually the case with a good cabinet & motherboard combination).
In this setup, the cabinet fan creates a good air flow around the processor sink+fan.
- Sometimes, the processor comes with its own 'vent' through a side-grill, that has a 'funnel' path from the processor sink to outside. With such setups, a side fan only introduces unwanted turbulence around the processor fan. Care is required in such setups.