I've just arrived in my new lab and japan and the server I can use has only Japanese locales. A call to
locale -a returns
C POSIX ja_JP ja_JP.eucjp ja_JP.ujis ja_JP.utf8 japanese japanese.euc
So I changed my environment variables and now my locale is set to
ja_JP.utf8 which should support Unicode just fine. A call to locale now returns (changed from eucjp):
LANG=ja_JP.utf8 LANGUAGE= LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.utf8" LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP.utf8" LC_TIME="ja_JP.utf8" LC_COLLATE="ja_JP.utf8" LC_MONETARY="ja_JP.utf8" LC_MESSAGES="ja_JP.utf8" LC_PAPER="ja_JP.utf8" LC_NAME="ja_JP.utf8" LC_ADDRESS="ja_JP.utf8" LC_TELEPHONE="ja_JP.utf8" LC_MEASUREMENT="ja_JP.utf8" LC_IDENTIFICATION="ja_JP.utf8" LC_ALL=
I can read file containing Japanese characters in Unicode just fine, whether I'm using less, emacs or vim and connecting from PuTTY or a remote xterm with cygwin. It also seem to display other Unicode characters fine.
But here comes the problem: if I type something in Japanese it seems to go wrong. I like to use IRC and for some reason, while I can read perfectly fine any Japanese character if I type something it's sent as garbage for other people. I'm using the configuration found here http://xkr47.outerspace.dyndns.org/howtos/irssi-utf-8-guide.txt
I'm getting these results for
term_charset = utf-8 recode_out_default_charset = ISO-8859-15
recode = ON recode_autodetect_utf8 = ON recode_fallback = ISO-8859-15 recode_out_default_charset = ISO-8859-15 recode_transliterate = ON
If you have suggestions, please try to think of a way which doesn't require root rights if possible since it would take forever for the administrator to actually do something on the server. I've looked up a lot online about locale but I didn't find anything about this problem.