So I found the solution to the Chrome issue, on this link
solution to chrome issue on super user
The main issue here is that Chrome uses Windows GDI to render fonts while most modern web browsers that run on Windows use DirectWrite instead.
The Chrome development team has integrated full support for DirectWrite into Chrome Beta -- and Dev and Canary as well -- but have not enabled it by default.A
Type or paste chrome://flags into the browser's addressbar and hit enter.
Hit F3 and type directwrite. Chrome should jump to the Enable DirectWrite experiment right away.
Click on the enable link to activate it.
A relaunch now button appears that you need to click on to restart the browser.
I was struggling to find the solution for Firefox. I had a play with direct write settings in firefox, using 'about:Config' but this didn't solve it.
I found a sort of solution to the problem. It forces a manual font choice that displays ok in Firefox.
- Go to your Firefox options and choose Content.
- In Content choose advanced settings.
- In Advanced settings, make sure to uncheck the box that says:
'Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above. After unchecking the box, click ok'
This fixed my font display issues in firefox
I found this information while searching on this link
Firefox font fix link