I opened my Gateway PC (Gateway DX4860-EF22P) to add a hard drive, but I was surprised to discover that the manufacturer did not provide enough room to put the new hard drive.

As you can see in the image, it is blocked by the right edge of the tower's frame. This frame cannot be removed and the box holding the first hard drive can't be removed without completely disassembling the whole tower.

Gateway hard drive no room

Has anyone ever encountered something like this before?? What did you do?

  • The exact model of the given computer would help quite a bit in identifying a solution for you. I'm pretty sure you not the only one scratching his head on this. – Marc-Andre R. May 3 '15 at 14:55
  • This is a very strange location for the HDD - are the cables supposed to be bent? I guess you will have to disassemble the whole tower though. – redbeam_ May 3 '15 at 14:58
  • @Marc-AndreR. Added model number. Gateway DX4860-EF22P – CodyBugstein May 3 '15 at 15:00
  • I know you said that you can not remove the HDD-cage. However, I had a very similar case once and after some fiddling, I could somewhat remove this HDD-cage without completely disassembling everything. Maybe after you remove the front-plate of your case? – Slizzered May 3 '15 at 15:00
  • @Slizzered Removing the front-plate doesn't do anything, since there's a metal wll behind it – CodyBugstein May 3 '15 at 15:08

I figured it out!!

The hard drive casing can be pulled forward about an inch, and then released with pressure down and to the left. Now I have the box pulled out.

NOTE: In the image above, I already removed a screw in the metal face just above the case. You see the hole in the top center of image.

| improve this answer | |

put it under DVD driver, you can find holder for your HDD in computer store i have the same case, or you can remove it and rotate

| improve this answer | |

How about a 2.5 inch hard drive instead of a 3.5 drive? Cables with 90 degree connectors would work for power and data. Vent holes along the bay could be used for mounting screws, or just cobble something up for mounting if you're inventive.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.