How can I get Skype 7.x to work on Windows 10? It's currently disabled and will not work anymore, forcing me to "downgrade" to 8.x or the "Modern" Windows app. If I do this, I will no longer be able to reliably maintain a great history, or use an external database app to easily query past messages.
I found what seems to be a solution at http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/how-to-turn-off-the-skype-update-notifications/td-p/903552/page/2 ...
1) Redownload the SkypeSetup.exe file for the current version of Skype you wish to use/have installed
2) Navigate to the temp folder with the SkypeSetup.exe that updates to the newest version every time you start Skype
3) Delete SkypeSetup.exe, and replace it with the setup file for the current version of Skype you desire
4) Before you start Skype again, make sure to right click the SkypeSetup.exe file you have planted in the Temp folder, check Read-only, and hit apply
-This locks the file from being updated by Skype when you start it, and also takes the place of the Setup file Skype tries to force you to download-
5) Start Skype
This still works for my Skype 7.34.66
- Close your Skype.
Find this folder (or press Win + R [Run] and type
C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Temp\
- Replace it with empty file (or you can open it with prefered text editor and wipe all text) and mark it with attribute
- Start your Skype as usual.
Tip: in file "Properties" -> "Security" deny "full access" for your user - it will guaranteed for asking permission before deleting (sometimes I clean this folder and delete it accidentally)
This method below fixed it for me where the file name SkypeSetup.exe in the %temp% directory did not exist (was elsewhere named Skype-Setup.exe).
Instructions to prevent/remove the Skype 'update warning popup'
Download your prefered Skype version. www.skaip.org/skype-versions
Uninstall any previous versions of Skype.
Restart your machine 'Offline' (no internet connection).
Install your prefered Skype version.
Goto Skype Tools, Options & turn off Automatic Updates.
Goto windows 'Services' & disable 'Skype Updater' service.
(My version is Skype 7.38.. on Windows 7)
C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop
Rename file Skype-Setup.exe to something like Skype-Setup-Original.exe
Create a new file in that directory using a text editor of some kind (like notepad)
Add random content to that new file (like the line below) & save as Skype-Setup.exe
22 44 66 22 44 66 22 44 66 Etc Etc Etc
RightClick the new Skype-Setup.exe file (in file manager/windows explorer) & change Properties to 'Read Only'
Restart your machine normally 'Online' (with internet connection).
How to disable Skype Update service:
- Click Start
- Type services.msc (or run it in whatever manner you like)
- Find SKYPE UPDATER
- Right click Skype Updater
- Startup type
protected by Community♦ Jan 27 at 17:39
Thank you for your interest in this question.
Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).
Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?