Please see end if you would like to back up the registry before you begin, as we will be changing a registry key for this solution.
- Click on the Start Button
- Type cmd
- Right Click on 'Command Prompt'
- select 'Run as Administartor
- Then copy and paste the following into Command Prompt to turn off quick access:
/v HubMode /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- Hit the enter key
- Now reboot your computer (or restart the explorer.exe process) and quick access will now be gone from file explorer in all users on Windows 10.
If at some later time you would like to return Quick Access back, repeat steps 1 to 7 except use the below code instead. This will turn Quick Access back on in file explorer in all users
/v HubMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
All these commands do is turn on and off a registry key here;
Steps how to back up registry:
- Type regedit in the search box.
- Click regedit from the search results list.
- Select Computer on the left side
- Click on the menu >File then click on >Export.
- At the Export Registry File, type a name for the backup file.