I'm familiar with the Cmd key symbol, but the second symbol one leaves me stumped.

Cmd +Something

I tried Cmd + Return -- no luck.


4 Answers 4


According to the article Apple Mac OS X Keyboard Symbols, the symbol refers to the ENTER key.

And according to Apple, the shortcut keys to insert a Page Break is indeed:

Command + ENTER


Command + Return + Fn

As explained by Denis de Bernardy, Apple differentiates between the Enter key and the Return key, even if they are on the same physical location.

  • It's the latter for me May 19, 2018 at 8:12
  • -Just to provide context. On keyboards with a standard layout of 100+ keys (101 US std, 102 EU std, 106 Japanese std.. etc) the enter key is in the bottom right as part of the numeric key. -Functionally the enter key's primary use is similar to that of the = in an equation. It is used to denote the end of a command. Originally enter was located next to the space bar. -The return key is based on typewriter design & primary use is to denote a new line. During early evolution of computing it was realised that when typing commands/code it would be more natural to also use the return key
    – user92693
    Jan 26, 2021 at 4:31

Press 'command' and the 'fn' keys, then hit return. (I have no idea what the key is in the drop down menu, either!)


This symbol is "Enter" in Number Pad. If you are using a MacBook without Number Pad, press Fn + Cmd + Return to get this shortcut.


(Command + (fn + return))

I'm pretty sure the (fn + return) part is meant to be a "new page" function, seeing as (fn + up arrow) or (fn + down arrow) are for page up and page down functions, respectively. This answer is a bit late but just in case anyone stumbles across this in the future, I hope I was able to help. :)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .