Opus is a new audio codec standard for audio on the web. Features include:
- Better compression than mp3/ogg/aac.
- Good for both music and spoken word.
- Dynamically adjustable bitrate, audio bandwidth, and coding delay.
- Good for real-time and pre-recorded applications.
However, the question is, how to play opus files under ubuntu normally, without using the browsers? What I found are:
- Opus players on 12.04 relies on /dev/dsp, which is obsoleted
- Opus codec has to be custome build into audacious in order for audacious to work
Time has passed, can opus files being played easily under ubuntu now? Also, how about playing from the command-line?