1

I am using a laptop that I believe is having the ground loop issue. It zaps me if I touch the metallic frame when I stand on my ceramic floor.

I have a USB headset and the microphone picks up the buzzing static noise. Now, after wearing a pair of slippers (to prevent myself getting zapped again) and if I placed my hand on my laptop, the buzzing noise that was previously picked up by the microphone is reduced drastically. At times when I need to use the microphone, I tend to place my hand on my laptop to reduce the static noise. Is it safe for me to do so?

0

Although I'm not an electrician, I would highly discourage using the microphone. If there was a peak in voltage, there could be consequences more severe.

If possible, I would recommend trying to disable the microphone, or, if nessasary, open the laptop up and disconnect the microphone from the motherboard.

Better safe than sorry.

  • It is just a buzzing noise running at the background. I don't think it is necessary for me to go all the way removing my microphone from the motherboard. Ok, maybe saying the word "zapped" might sound severe, it was just a tingling sense if I touch it while standing on the ceramic floor, because ceramic picks up electric currents. I think my body acted as the "ground" now and that's why the static noise is reduced when I touch the metallic frame of my laptop. The background noise is greatly reduced and my voice got through even more clearly from the mic now. – Melissa M. Jun 1 '15 at 15:09
  • @MelissaM The thing is, if the voltage for some reason increases, you could be in for a nasty surprise... – user424484 Jun 1 '15 at 15:10
  • I had this problem and it was caused by a faulty wall socket – Suici Doga May 22 '18 at 3:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.