I have a 465 GB SSD and a 4 TB HDD in my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine. I have a junction (not symlink) that points C:\Users to D:\Users. Does anyone know if the Windows 10 upgrade will still install on this configuration? I ask because I've read that Windows 8.1 will not install if there is a junction that points C:\Users to any other location. FWIW, the Windows 10 upgrade advisor says my system is ready and only points out that my copy of Norton 360 will no longer be functional (duh!). Thanks.
Based on a post from a day ago -- http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-users-folder-move-location-windows-10-a-post305666.html#post305666
Just wanted to let you and everyone else know that I was able to upgrade from windows 8.1 pro, with user files on D:\ , to windows10 pro without any problems. Windows 10 just installed and when it was finished everything was just as it was before. I've been playing around with programs and apps and everything seems to be working fine.
It appears that there is not a need to move user files back to C:\ before upgrade.
Which would be excellent news -- the restriction never made any sense to me, and while we could always relocate the documents/etc folders, there's a TON of data in Roaming/etc that easily fills an SSD.
In a related configuration, I had used a junction to move C:\Windows\Installer to D:\Windows\Installer. I did not realize it until I tried upgrading some products a few weeks after the Windows 10 upgrade (from 8.1), but the junction was removed and caused quite a few issues. I simply needed to copy all new content to the D:\ drive, remove C:\Windows\Installer, and re-create the junction using mklink. After that, everything was working again.
Doesn't work for me. I set up a batch script that moves the C:\Users folder to D:\ (or whichever drive you specify) after Windows does an install (but before it starts up again after a reboot), and makes all the junction links and sets the same permissions as the originals.
I tried the Windows 10 1511 update recently and it did all the updating, but failed at around 90% and undid the process to leave my PC working as normal. I'm currently searching for information as to where the log would be stored for this to try and find out more information as to what caused it to fail.
I know that some Windows updates (not major ones, but cumulative) will fail due to the user profile being on a different drive.
The fix for that is to change the keys in:
to point directly to the correct location instead of using the paths with the %system% variables as some of the updates don't like following Symlinks. This also works if you have an issue with Bitnami installers saying "Payload Initialization failed".