I've been trying to set up Ubuntu 14.04LTS and Windows 8 for quite some time now; several months. I've had over four failed attempts. I finally gave up and worked on Ubuntu in VMware from inside Windows. But now I feel I really need a dual-boot and a VM is just not sufficient.
OK. So the REAL MESS is... In a frantic effort to get a dual-boot set up, I messed up the hard disk partitions really badly. Also, I tried with Fedora 20 on reading somewhere that it supports UEFI and SecureBoot; but even that failed.
So my current configurations and setups that I have are as follows:
Boot Configuration Details:
When I switch on my PC, I get the Metro-UI Windows bootloader. However, on restart, I am presented with a non-Metro-UI OS selection menu with OS selection options, viz. Windows 8 and Fedora 20. On selecting Fedora, an error is presented. Windows boots fine.
EasyBCD, however, shows a strange set of boot entries...
Hard disk partitions:
AOMEI partition manager shows a scarily long set of partitions...
Please help me understand the exact purpose of each of the drives shown in AOMEI so that I may delete unnecessarily created drives when I installed Fedora 20. Here is what I understood, kindly correct me if I am wrong...
- WINRE_DRV is a windows recovery system drive and shouldn't be touched.
- SYSTEM_DRV is a system drive (no idea what for) and shouldnt be touched.
- LRS_ESP is a system drive (no idea what for) and shouldnt be touched.
- FS:Other, Capacoty:128MB, Flag:GPT/MSR ... is unknown
- Windows8_OS is my C:\ drive
- Personal Data is my data drive
- FS:Other, Capacoty:1MB, Flag:GPT ... is unknown
- J: drive ...is unknown and surprisingly its FS is ext4 but Windows can access it. :P
- FS: Other, Capacity: 19GB, ...probably my Fedora20 installation
- F: (with FS FAT12)... unknown (what is fat12???)
- H: EFISECTOR is unknown
- D: LENOVO contains drivers and some other stuff
- PBR_DRV ...contains a flag of WRE, but I already have a recovery drive! So even this is unknown.
And if I look at "Computer" in Windows Explorer, it shows some unexplained drives of a few MBs. There are also some more partitions that are not visible to Windows, probably because they were in ext4 when I had attempted the Fedora 20 setup. You can see these 'invisible' drives in the AOMEI screenshot above.
Now I wish to clean up all this mess and do a clean Windows 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS dual boot.
Also, two side questions...
First, should I install 15.04 or 14.04LTS given my situation? I read on AskUbuntu that dual booting is a breeze with 15.04. But the "LTS" will be missed and I would prefer LTS.
Second, should I upgrade to Windows 8.1? Will upgrading later on after a (hopeful) dual-boot setup mess up my configs again?