I would like to alternate the shading of a group of rows each time the text value of a column changes. So all rows with "abc" in column B, will be shaded blue, when the value of column B changes to "def", the rows will be shaded green. The the next time the value of column B changes, the next group of rows will be shaded blue, etc. Seems like it should be easy, but I have not figured it out! I am on a Mac using excel 2008.
I think that you are looking for something similar to this:
Notice that you need to:
- Use a helper column (which could be hidden),
- Populate the first cell of the helper column with the number 1,
- Populate the next cell with the formula
=IF(B3=B2,E2,E2+1), and copy down,
- Choose the "Use a formula to determine which cells to format" option in Conditional Formatting,
- Use the Rules as shown in the picture,
- Apply both Rules as shown in the picture.