My Mac Mini (late 2012 model) has always been a touch on the slow side, and has been even more so ever since I needed to start running a Windows VM within it.
I'm planning on upgrading the HDD to an SSD of equal or greater capacity (i.e. 1TB or more). I'm wanting to know whether my rough plan is sane or whether there is perhaps some easier/faster/cheaper way. Here's my plan:
- buy the SSD and tools necessary to take apart the Mac Mini
- have Time Machine take a full backup of every damn thing on my existing HDD
- follow this guide to replace the HDD with the SSD
- follow these instructions to get Mac OS on the replacement drive
- upgrade Mac OS as necessary
- restore my full backup using Time Machine
Can anyone tell me whether this is a viable plan? Anything I'm missing or should be wary of?