I previously disabled IE11 on Windows 8.1 as follows:
- Opened "Turn Windows features on or off"
- Unticked "Internet Explorer 11"
- Clicked "OK"
- When prompted, restarted machine
I did not downgrade it.
I now want to a) reenable it and b) set it as the default browser.
I have reenabled it by reversing the process above, and I can launch it manually by finding and running
- it does not appear in the Start screen
- it does not appear when searching the Start screen for "Internet", "Explorer" or "Internet Explorer"
- it does not appear in the list of options when selecting a default program for a filetype (e.g. for .html files)
- it does not appear in the list of programs in "Set your default programs"
- it does not appear in the list of options in "Set Associations"
In the list-based scenarios, I can browse, locate and select
iexplore.exe, but the association doesn't "take" (it silently fails after selecting the exe).
How can I now make IE11 the default browser (and, preferably, have appear in menus and such)?