I'm trying to use my old Windows XP system on Ubuntu 15.10 Host. After having copied the hard drive to a vhd file, I'm trying to boot it:
1) in Normal mode: the windows XP login appears normally for a while, then: black screen.
But... I can still hear the "login" sound, the "new hardware detected" sound etc... When I shutdown, I hear again the "logout" sound. So it appears it's only a problem of black display, the system seems to run.
2) In safe mode, everything is working. with the display normal.
Ubuntu 15.04. 64bits. VirtualBox 5.0.0 with extensions pack
Windows XP 32bits.
- 64MB Video memory
- Enabled 2D acceleration (I've tried to disable it)
- Base memory: 1024MB (same as my old winxp sytem)
- Enabled IO APIC (I've tried to disable it and it doesn't boot)
- Processor: 2 Cores. Execution cap 100%. Enabled PAE/NX (I've tried to disable it too).
- Acceleration: Enabled VT-x/AMD-V and Enabled Nested Paging (I've tried to disable it too).