When in text editors on a Mac, you can do + or + to skip to the beginning or end of lines, respectively.

You can also add shift, such as +shift+, to highlight an entire line.

Are there Windows equivalents to any of these? ctrl+ won't go to the beginning of a line, it will just skip back a word.


Home to go to the beginning of the line.

End to go to the end of the line.

Home and then Shift+End or vice versa to highlight the entire line.


Ctrl+/ will just move one word like you mentioned.

Ctrl+Home/End will move to the beginning/end of the document.

  • These shortcuts work great on my Dell laptop's keyboard because Home is mapped to Fn+. But on my external keyboard, Home and End are in their classic positions, which I find much more awkward. – jlewkovich Jul 24 '15 at 17:57
  • It looks like the kbd tags don't work in comments. If you would like to manually remap keys, consider AutoHotkey. – MC10 Jul 24 '15 at 17:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.