The following broke my PC.
- Installed Windows 10 Education x64 final release
- Booted Ubuntu 15.04 install disc
- Installed Ubuntu with option to install next to Windows
- Installation said it has been completed
- After restarting the computer, GRUB appears and I can select between Ubuntu and Windows
- Neither Ubuntu nor Windows boot successfully
Windows stucks with black screen and no information visible. Ubuntu stucks with its typical pink/purple background and the capslock light on the keyboard is on. (Edit: Kernal panic, see below)
What have I already done / what are my settings?
- I turned off Secure Boot (before the installation)
- I turned off Fast Boot (before the installation)
- I used GPT and UEFI mode for both Windows and Ubuntu
- Legacy Mode is off
Necessary to note
- I used one disc for everything (I only have one)
- Both GRUB and Windows Boot Manager are visible in the Boot Menu of my PC
- I tried to repair using Boot Repair (on the Ubuntu live disc) but errors appear
Is there any chance to rescue my installation? If not, what should I do different the next time? Is Ubuntu unable to be installed next to Windows 10 because of its fresh release?
Kernel panic: After booting in Ubuntu rescue mode, I noticed the following kernel panic:
VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0 0)