I have a problem with my font rendering under Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca with Kernel 3.17.1. The spacing for monospace fonts is really wrong, some letters are bold and misplaced. At some places the font appears italic and I don't know why. It just looks terrible.
The font settings are set to default:
- Default Font: Noto Sans 9
- Desktop Font: Noto Sans 10
- Document Font: Noto Sans 10
- Monospace Font: Monospace 10
- Window Title Font: Noto Sans Bold 10,
- Text Scaling Factor: 1.0
- Antialiasing: Rgba
- Hinting: Slight
Antialiasing and Hinting are not the problem! Also, I did not touch the fonts themselves (I also ran
The problem does appear when I log in with different users, and in cinnamon as well as in i3.
I am not using a custom
~/.config/fontconfig file and did not change
Even if I change the font in Sublime to "Times", only numbers seem to be affected.
The problem affects the following applications:
- Gnome Terminal (using the system's font)
- Sublime Text
while it does not affect:
- Firefox (and other browsers)
- Android Studio
- GTK Applications (like Gnome Settings, Abiword...)