I have been attempting to upgrade Windows from 8.1 to 10 and so far it failed at various stages, with the screen becoming unresponsive and black.
After reading various comments I have attempted the below:
- Uninstalled & Removed Avast antivirus
- Disabled Firewall
- Removed Nvidia Graphic card (asus) and uninstalled any software associated with it
- Updated Intel Graphic drivers (they were outdated)
- Run the Microsoft Windows update troubleshooter. This apparently fixed problem 0x80070057, 'service registration missing or corrupt' and 'problems installing recent updates'.
- Uninstalled all unnecessary programs
- Disabled all startup programs
- Removed all unnecessary USB connections
The maximum percentage of upgrade completion that I saw before the PC froze was 88% after possibly more than a dozen attempts. The PC has been left in the 'black screen' frozen status for more than 8 hours, just to be sure that the update was not interrupted.
When the PC freezes there is zero disc activity and no device (mouse, keyboard) is recognized.
A force restart results in 3, 4 restarts where initially the system tries to restore the update and then - thankfully - reverts to the previous installed version (8.1) with no issue.
Now the PC is from Zoostorm, but the automatic test carried out from the Microsoft Windows 10 confirm that Windows 10 App should work on the machine with no issue.
Any suggestion to resolve this?
So far it's been a disappointing experience, especially as the error messages provided are completely vague in truly Microsoft style.
Happy to provide more information if needed.