I have a computer with only an HDMI output and a monitor with only a VGA input. I would like to have the computer extend its display onto the monitor.

However, I have read that VGA outs cannot be converted to HDMI ins, but have seen nothing that implies the opposite. And logically, I would think that a higher def technology (HDMI) should be convertible to a lower def technology (VGA).

  1. Is this setup possible?
  2. If yes to 1, what do you recommend I use to connect them?

migrated from electronics.stackexchange.com Aug 10 '15 at 16:24

This question came from our site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts.


VGA to HDMI converters are very common, someone lied to you. As for your HDMI to VGA, 1 needs to be supported by your video card, 2 is what you need (ymmv, but the amazon comments look good), 3 is a VGA to HDMI, opposite of what you want.

Alternatively, spend a couple of bucks and upgrade to a newer monitor. Get in this century.

  • Lie is maybe a too strong word here, because you don't know the exact circumstances, I suggest to make it nicer. (Btw, your answer is enough good for an up.) – peterh May 26 '16 at 7:11

You need a converter like the one you linked to at option 2. HDMI is digital signal which should be converted to analog VGA signal using a DAC like this which is supposed to be embedded in such converters. Simple wiring won't do the trick.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.