EDIT: Please read what I have already tried before commenting/answering. Thank you.
I just found a completely ridiculous problem. I have Win10 on my laptop. It comes with .NET 4.5 installed but not 3.5. I want to run a game that uses 3.5 (it won't run without it). When I run either the online or offline .NET 3.5 installer, it says I need .NET 3.5 to install .NET 3.5!
This is extremely frustrating. Is there a way I can manually install it?
Things I have tried:
- Running the .NET 3.5 Online Installer (2Mb)
- Running the .NET 3.5 Offline Installer (237Mb)
- Using dism.exe as per Method 3 listed here (it says
The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.)
- Running the .NET Verification Tool.
- Refreshing my Windows (it fails and says nothing has changed)
- Troubleshooting the installer (it says
Incompatible program, which is wrong because I have .NET 4.5 installed)
- Installing .NET 2.0 (apparently I need .NET 3.5 for that too)
None of these work! Any ideas?