I have a peculiar problem with my home Wi-Fi router. The router is always seen by:
- one MacBook Pro
- MacBook Air
- 2 Windows laptops
These devices can reliably connect to it and browse the Internet without any problem whatsoever; full signal strength.
However, from some point on;
- 2 Android cell phones
- another Windows laptop
- another MacBook Pro
stopped detecting the SSID. These devices used to connect to the network without any problems and I am not aware of any configuration change. All of these devices can detect all other networks around.
The following attempts were all tried with no avail:
- changing a channel (all channels from 1 to 13 were given a shot)
- changing security mode to none/WPA/WEP/WPA2
- changing mode to 802.11g, 802.11b, mixed b/g
- entering the SSID and password manually
- hard reset of the router to factory settings
- updating the firmware on the router
- moving the router to a different spot
It always ended up with the same set of devices consistently seeing the SSID, the other set of devices never being able to detect it.
I am not as much interested in a practical solution (I can always just go and buy a new router) as in discovering the root cause - because frankly, it just doesn't make any sense.