After I set the computer to sleep and it immediately woke up again I powered off the computer. Since then I am now unable to use the Windows 10 installation. It boots up, splash screen appears and disappears and then I get stuck on a blank black screen with no mouse pointer or cursor. Fast Startup was enabled at the time. Changing the state of Rapid Start in the BIOS/UEFI sadly doesn't help.
So far I have tried:
- Assumed its just not displaying anything and tried the password login without seeing the input. Doesn't change anything.
- All the recovery tools the F8 menu brings up, all of which obviously don't do anything. When do they ever.
- Put in a Windows 10 recovery USB stick and tried all the options there again to see if that changes anything. It didn't.
- Tried powercfg /h off in the CMD of the recovery tools. Doesn't work from there.
- Booted into safe mode. Safe mode crashes with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
- Mounted the partition with mount -o rw,remove_hiberfile on my linux installation. The hiberfile gets recreated on next boot to the Windows installation.
At this point I am out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.
Update I gave up and just reset the installation. From a repair perspective Windows is still as lousy as ever.