I have disabled hardware acceleration in my
chrome://settings. I have also visited
chrome://flags and disabled every one of the flags listed in this post.
I restarted the system (and not just the browser), fired up chrome and here is the CPU usage graph shown in Windows Task Manager:
1 square (X-axis) = 5 seconds
The system was not connected to the internet when opening chrome. I only had 2 tabs restored in the window from last browsing session. I have only three browser extensions enabled at the moment:
- HTTPS Everywhere 2015.8.13
- ScriptSafe 184.108.40.206
- ModHeader 2.0.5
What could be causing this much CPU usage, for such a large amount of time? As can be seen from the graph above, the CPU (including kernel times) stays at a constant 100% usage for at least 40 seconds.
After the usage drops down, it stays there for almost entire session, never going beyond 5%.
Chrome does not allow me to access Chrome Task Manager unless it has finished consuming CPU entirely. After the process is finished, I noticed only the 5 processes enlisted above (2 tabs and 3 plug-ins/extensions).
chrome://plugins lists the following active plugins:
- Widevine Content Decryption Module - Version: 220.127.116.113
- Chrome PDF Viewer (2 files)
- Native Client
- Adobe Flash Player - Version: 18.104.22.168
In Windows Task Manager's processes list, I see that chrome distributes the CPU usage evenly to all
chrome.exe processes listed there. Thus, each of them has about 10-12% of CPU assigned to them.
- Asus M5A97 Board
- AMD FX-8320 Processor
- 2x4GB DDR3 1800 MHz RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU
- Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD
The event trace log file can be downloaded from here.