Some time ago I started to have speed problems in working with Qt/Qt Creator in Windows and after and unsuccesfull attempt to improve the situation, I decided to install and use a Linux Ubuntu virtual machine using VMPlayer.
After some problems I finally managed to have Qt working inside that VM and everything was find. Strangely, though, in the last weeks my VM started to become increasingly slow which seems to have become even worst since I updated my host OS to Windows 10 and, as a consequence, my VMPlayer to version 12 (previously I think it was version 6). Since then things got so terrible that now when I try to compile my project the entire Ubuntu freeze in the middle of the compilation process after a tedious slow start!
I'm trying to understand what could be happening here; I didn't change anything significantly inside the VM so that could happen. I did some research on the web on how to improve the speed of a VMWare VM, but the tips I found (such as this) weren't helpful.
I'm thinking about creating a new VM and installing Qt again to see if things go back to normal, but since this process do take some time and it doesn't actually solve the problem (only goes around it to possible face it again in a couple of months), I'ld like to know what are my options for the VM I have. It's valuable to notice that the slow isn't just with Qt; even the opening of the UI is slower AWA opening Qt Creator, browsers, etc..
So what could be hapenning to my VM? What can I do to make it run fast again?
EDIT My configuration:
- Memory: 3072 MB
- Processors: 2
- HD: 20 Gb (official). Inside OS, 17.8 Gb, 2.4 Gb free
- Display: Accelerate 3D graphics, 2 monitors, 1920 x 1080
- OS: Ubuntu 64 bit
- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
- 8 Gb
- Intel i5-2500K CPU @3.30 Ghz 3.30 Ghz
- NVidia GeForce GTX 448 Ti
Observation: Noting that I had only 2.4 Gb free, I went after trash and managed to erase around 4 Gb of data, letting my system with more then 6 Gb of free space. In that condition, I was able to both open Qt Creator as well as do Clean Up and Run qMake faster then before! So I was thinking this could be the problem after all till compilation once again stucked and Ubuntu freezed in the middle of the operation, indicating that maybe this is another problem disconnected to speed issues. Anyway, suggestions are welcomed.