A few days ago, my PC was acting weird and froze sometimes. I did full scans using Avast! Free Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware since I assumed it was a virus causing these, but both software didn't find any threat. I also used the Microsoft Safety Scanner. I did a quick scan at first and it didn't find any threat. I did a full scan but when the bar that shows progress was almost full, I refreshed my desktop which caused the whole PC to freeze. When I force powered off by holding the power button and turned it on, it was normal.
Since three security applications didn't find any threat, I started to wonder whether they were enough to ensure that my PC is free from viruses.
Here are the security applications installed on my PC:
- Avast! Antivirus
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
- Windows Firewall
- Are the three scans enough?
- Is my security setup strong enough? If not, should I remove something or add something?
- I heard about Spybot Search and Destroy but am not familiar with it or its reputation. Is it another similar anti-malware application (i.e., would it provide incremental benefits or just duplicate what I am already running)?
I'm using Windows 10 Single Language.
Please note that I am not looking for an opinion poll. Rather, I'm seeking input from people with specific knowledge about malware protection on what is considered best and sufficient practices.