How to switch between docs/tabs by side clicking mouse's scroll wheel?
I updated Notepad++ to 6.8.3 and lost the abliity to switch tabs by clicking the mouse scroll wheel to the left or right.
I recall this happening on a previous update, and I think I had to re-map the relevant scroll wheel shortcut to get it going again. I don't update often, so it has been a while.
This time, however, I have not been able to figure out how to map right/left-scroll-wheel-click. The scroll wheel does not seem to be an option. Just a combination of ctrl + alt+ shift and a key list. Perhaps they changed this since I last checked, or perhaps I did something differently. I don't know.
Can anyone help?
As per David Metcalfe's answer below, tilt wheel is not available in Notepad++ and an autohotkey script is an option.
But if you lost this functionality (switching between tabs by using the mouse tilt-wheel-click / scroll-wheel-side-click) you can probably restore without installing AHK etc.
My issue was caused by one of either two things, each with their own "fix".
- I had personal mappings that hadn't been imported to the new version; or
- The new version reset my mappings.
I don't know because it is now fixed, and I couldn't be bothered checking what fixed it.
If your problem is the same as mine, to fix will be either one of these:
First, if personal mappings hadn't been imported, this should do it:
- Simply close NPP and reopen it.
If that doesn't work, then mappings has probably been reset so:
- Open Notepad++ and go to Shortcut mapper (Settings > Shortcut Mapper)
- Go to line ~151 "Next Tab" - assign "Ctrl+PageDown" buttons
- Go to line ~152 "Previous Tab" - assign "Ctrl+PageUp" buttons
- Apply changes.
If that doesn't work, check that your not using the alternative "Ctrl+Shift+Tab" and "Ctrl+Tab" tab switching on your mouse by:
- Going to your mouse settings via your operating system
- Check that "Ctrl+PageDown" has been assigned to click from left side (ie NEXT)
- Check that "Ctrl+PageUp" has been assigned to to click from right side (ie PREVIOUS)
- Close Mouse Settings
When you reopen NPP and it should be working again.
NOTE You probably could use "Ctrl+Shift+Tab" and "Ctrl+Tab" but they cause a switch via that annoying scroll menu.