In the spirit of this awesome question, if I've remapped the Caps Lock key itself to be the Win key, can I somehow map some key or combination to the "Caps Lock" functionality? In case I ever wanted to actually lock caps again? I think Scroll Lock or Ctrl + Esc would be great.

I'd like to be able to do this via the registry (see link above), as opposed to installing something. I understand that there are lots of solutions already out there, but I don't see one suggesting a registry or app-free solution.

  • @Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 yeah, I'm asking basically the same thing, but I'd like to do it without any further S/W (even SharpKeys). I'll edit my question to reflect this emphasis. – Joe Oct 14 '15 at 18:07
  • That same answer that suggests SharpKeys also points out that it's just a GUI wrapper for the registry remapping way, which is mentioned (and a tutorial linked to) in that existing answer. – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 Oct 14 '15 at 18:10
  • 1
    I saw that, and the HowToGeek article referenced twice in that answer was really great. However, the scancode link in that article is dead. I was thinking the registry-only answer should be collected here, but I can go with the other one instead. I'll just post a comment with a live scancode link: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa299374(v=vs.60).aspx – Joe Oct 14 '15 at 18:18