I recently had an issue with a program not starting. I read the solution, which required modifying a registry key. When I went to start regedit I receive this message:

The service did not respon to the start or control request in a timely fashion.


Error Message Screenshot

How do I resolve this problem?

Note: I am running Windows 8.1.

  • Which version of Windows? What have you tried so far?
    – Steven
    Oct 27, 2015 at 22:07
  • Have a read of the link. Then download the latest version of .NET Framework support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/839174 Oct 27, 2015 at 22:28
  • 1
    Does regedt32 work?
    – DavidPostill
    Oct 27, 2015 at 22:49
  • @DavidPostill - I wasn't even aware of regedt32 but no, it won't launch either.
    – L84
    Oct 28, 2015 at 2:50

1 Answer 1


Use the reg command to access (and modify) the registry from the command line.

Reg - Microsoft TechNet Library

Note: Open the command prompt with administrative permissions to use reg.

  • @Lynda I think Steven means to say is to use the reg command to revert your changes to the registry then see if opening it works again.
    – Insane
    Oct 27, 2015 at 22:30
  • @Insane I believe she wanted to open regedit to make the changes not revert.
    – Steven
    Oct 27, 2015 at 22:32
  • 1
    Oh. Well in that case your answer doesn't explain how to fix the issue. Just a work-around, using command prompt.
    – Insane
    Oct 27, 2015 at 22:33
  • 1
    I saw the problem as "why won't regedit open" not "how to edit this registry key for the program that's not starting". I wouldn't ever think the 'program not starting' and 'regedit not opening' were related. But hey maybe I'm wrong.
    – Insane
    Oct 27, 2015 at 22:35
  • The solution to her program not starting was modifying the registry. Since regedit won't work, I suggested reg. Both are acceptable ways to access the registry.
    – Steven
    Oct 27, 2015 at 22:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.