String of characters that allows access to a computer, interface, system or application.
Passwords are strings of characters that grant access to a computer, terminal, interface or application.
Windows related questions
- What can I do if I forget my Windows password?
- Resetting the Windows administrator password
- Turning off automatic Windows 7 login
- Making Windows forget a network connection password
Mac OS related questions
- Hiding users from the Mac OS X Snow Leopard logon screen
- Recovering the password of a RAR file
- Reading password-protected Word files
... The solution to this is called password hashing. A hash function is essentially a complex mathematical formula that is not reversible on practical timescales. If the password hash is stored in the database, then an attacker would not know your password, because they would be unable to reverse the hash, assuming a secure hash was used. ...