Free, open-source operating system based on Debian GNU/Linux. Ubuntu questions are on topic here, but if you prefer an Ubuntu-only audience there is Ask Ubuntu (http://askubuntu.com/).
The related Stack Exchange site, Ask Ubuntu, exists if you would prefer an Ubuntu-only audience, as opposed to the multi-environment/operating system one found here on Super User.
At any given time, two or three Long Term Support (LTS) versions are supported as well as the most recent prior non-LTS version. If the latest stable release is non-LTS, then two non-LTS releases are supported: the current and the prior one. If the latest stable release is an LTS, then only the prior non-LTS release and the LTS releases are supported.
Support means that security and bug fix updates are continuing to be released to the update repositories. When support is dropped for an old release, responsibility for fixing any bugs or security issues is left up to the user.
The latest table of currently supported and unsupported releases can be found on the Releases page of the Ubuntu Wiki.
If your operating system is Ubuntu, you can run the following command to check the support status of the system's installed packages:
These are the Ubuntu version-specific tags on Super User:
- ubuntu-17.04 (Zesty Zapus) end of support: January 2018
- ubuntu-16.04 (Xenial Xerus) LTS end of support: April 2021
- ubuntu-15.10 (Wily Werewolf) end of support: July 28, 2016
- ubuntu-15.04 (Vivid Vervet) end of support: February 4, 2016
- ubuntu-14.04 (Trusty Tahr) LTS end of support: April 2019
- ubuntu-13.10 (Saucy Salamander) end of support: July 17, 2014
- ubuntu-13.04 (Raring Ringtail) end of support: January 27, 2014
- ubuntu-12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) end of support: May 16, 2014
- ubuntu-12.04 (Precise Pangolin) LTS end of support: April 28, 2017
- ubuntu-11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) end of support: May 9, 2013
- ubuntu-11.04 (Natty Narwhal) end of support: October 28, 2012
- ubuntu-10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) end of support: April 10, 2012
- ubuntu-10.04 (Lucid Lynx) LTS end of support: April 30, 2015
- ubuntu-9.10 (Karmic Koala) end of support: April 30, 2011
- ubuntu-9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) end of support: October 23, 2010
- ubuntu-8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) end of support: April 30, 2010
- ubuntu-8.04 (Hardy Heron) LTS end of support: May 9, 2013
The officially recognized derivatives of Ubuntu can be found on the Flavours section of About Ubuntu.
These are the Ubuntu derivative tags on Super User: