The act of asking a question when you are stuck has two advantages:
- The process of forming the question has a high chance of leading you to the answer, so you may end up never having to ask your question
- By converting a problem into a question, you no longer have a problem, instead you now have a question, and someone is bound to have an answer!
Software eng tip(s):
- Time estimates are hard. A good rule of thumb is to add one more of the largest unit of your time estimate.
- For example, if you estimate that a task will take 1.5 hours, add another hour. If you estimate 1 day, add another day, if you estimate, 2 weeks, add another week, etc, etc.
- When assigned the task of implementing a new feature or improving an existing one, consult your nearest domain expert before consulting Google. A domain expert could be a co-worker with experience in that area, or whoever had worked on the feature you are trying to improve.
- When a domain expert does not exist, then you and your team are in no position to undertake such a task. Forget Google at this point, you all need to have a serious meeting to determine a new solution for the task at hand.
- As a new developer, practice the art of asking questions. If you go three days working on a ticket and never ask a question, you are in danger of making a costly mistake.
- Every local variable is a global variable with limited scope.
BadgesView all badges
This user doesn’t have any gold badges yet.
Notable QuestionMay 25, 2018
Apr 16, 2021
Jun 8, 2022
Apr 27, 2019
Mar 21, 2020
Feb 15, 2022
Nov 12, 2014
Jan 24, 2021
Sep 27, 2013
Top network postsView all network posts